Friday, September 5, 2014

Review: Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Mystery,suspense,fantasy and swoon-worthy romance
Title: Cursed
Author: J. L Armentrout
Publisher: Hodders and Stoughton
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 17th July, 2014
J.L Armentrout is one of those authors who knows what her readers like and delivers it each time. Cursed is no different. Ember had died in a car accident which killed her father, but her sister with her strange power, brought her back to life. However when Ember did come back to to the world of the living she returned with a curse of her own. Everything she touches dies. Circumstances like these have made Ember cynical and bitter. She looks after her 5 year old sister, all by herself. She has lost all her friends and her social life, with only one friend left. Then one day an accident leaves her sister kidnapped and Ember cornered. Now she has been moved to another town, another state and has to start her life from scratch and trust a man who put her in that position in the first place..

The premise of the girl with the deadly touch is not new. It is how it's treated is what makes it different. J.L Armentrout gives it her own signature touch. I liked the main character Ember. Although there was nothing remarkable about her personality, she was a believable character, who was relatable and real. She had been popular once but after the accident she was made into a social pariah. She had a good head between her shoulders and she loved her little sister, Olivia dearly. Their relationship was really sweet and I enjoyed reading their interactions..

There were others characters too most notably, Hayden. He was everything J.L Armentrout love interests are known for. He was sweet, kind, caring, supportive and all manner of swoon worthy. Hayden and Ember had their differences and it was a convincing dilemma. She could never truly trust his family who did not want her there and Hayden was too loyal to take all the crap Ember threw at him about them. The tension between Hayden and Ember was painfully sweet and all I can say is the it's been a while since not-touching was so sexy..

The mystery, on the other hand was not that mysterious. In fact, I had figured it out quite early on in the story but the narrative was interesting enough to keep me going. The premise had been set up nicely for more books in the future and I hope we get to explore more of the X-men like powers of the other members of the Cromwell family and also find out more about the Facility. Saying that, Cursed seems like a stand alone so far, but if anybody hears others, do let me know..

Cursed overall was an enjoyable read, with a steady plot and convincing characters. It was gripping, if not in the traditional sense but with the blossoming romance and the great chemistry between Hayden and Ember, the pages flew by and before I know it the book was over. I'd recommend it to all fantasy readers who want to to enjoy Armentrout's signature elements of romance, fantasy and mystery. I guarantee, you will not be disappointed..

Review copy provided by Hodder and Stoughton


7 comments:

Unknown on September 5, 2014 at 1:03 AM said...

I feel so pathetic for not reading any books by this author except half-blood. And I really liked that one.
GREAT review, though
Your reader,
Soma
http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

Unknown on July 2, 2015 at 7:31 AM said...

Your page is great! You sure do know how to keep your audience entertained. Im so glad that I took the time to look at this blog, Alpha Brain because let me tell you. Thanks.Im totally confused after reading information on this site, and other websites and blogs. Which supplement, or nutritional supplements, should you actually be taking? One site says x is good for you, the other says it wastes your muscles, dont listen to them. Can anyone sort through the marketing hype and deliver actual honest feedback on good supplements to use?http://www.supplements4help.com/alpha-brain/

Unknown on August 20, 2015 at 2:11 PM said...

Thanks for the information appreciated been reading for awhile, and just wanted to let you know I continue to Synagen IQ enjoy your writing.Many thanks pertaining to taking turns this good subject matter on your website. I came across it on google. I may check back again once you publish much more aricles.http://www.healthsupreviews.com/synagen-iq/


SynagenIQ on August 21, 2015 at 12:12 PM said...

Hi, I'm writing like your post and I have some questions to you. Where did you find informations for your blog post? Neuro Elite In gazettes, maybe in rags or lexicon, or only randomly on the Web? Please reply Are grateful for your current document. This specific study hobbies and interests folks entirely and also employing an individual, I learned brand new critical things. Previously worth it to read. Thank you. Bravo. You reside.http://www.supplements4help.com/neuro-elite/


Kraemer Jason on August 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM said...

I'm nevertheless learning from you, as I'm trying to achieve my goals. I truly liked reading Alpha XTRM everything which is written on your website.Keep the stories coming. I enjoyed it!http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/alpha-xtrm/

Anonymous said...

What exactly is occurring within all these towards the world is absolutely terrible. I hope the issues prefer that around Egypt usually are resolved quickly. They need to get for just a pacific strategy Cognimaxx XL to the condition and get initiative that this military services doesn´t require a violent activity contrary to the protests. It´s distinct the folks would like the particular chief executive released, nevertheless its possible the problems usually are deeper compared to just committing to any president in a state.http://www.healthcaresups.com/cognimaxx-xl/


Anonymous said...

Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take portion of your post to my blog?I was wondering if you ever considered changing the layout of your blog? Cognimaxx XL Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?http://www.healthsupreviews.com/cognimaxx-xl/


Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting