Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Review: The 100 (The Hundred #1) by Kass Morgan


How far will you go for love and survival?

Series: The Hundred
Tittle: The 100
Author: Kass Morgan
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
My ratings: 3 out of 5 stars
Released: 29th August 2013
T he 100 was not a book I had heard before the series was telecasted. The show is addictive and I was hooked from the first episode. The premise, cinematography and special effects were top notch. So to satisfy my curiosity I picked up this book and did a read along with a few of my fellow UK book Bloggers.


As I read The 100 after I saw the series, this review will be full of spoilers and the TV series.

Clarke is a juvenile prisoner awaiting a retrial but suddenly she is shipped off on a drop ship to Earth. See, Earth is inhabitable since a century and the last of the human race are living on a spaceship called The Ark in space. Clarke and 99 other juvenile prisoners will be the first humans in earth in a century  If they prove that Earth is habitable for human, more will soon follow. The story is told my many characters. The four main characters are Clarke, the daughter of the resident scientists, Wells, the son of the Chancellor, in love with Clarke, Bellamy, who is trying to protect his sister and Glass who manages to get away from the drop ship to save herself.

While the premise is promise, exciting even, the execution left something to be desired. There was so much potential with such a setting, the drama, the world building etc, but the story focused more on the relationships between the characters rather than action or mystery. To top it all the pint of view changed with each chapter and almost each chapter had a flashback. The flashback gave an insight to the characters and provided a background story for each, creating a connection but the changes were jarring and I wish the author had found a better way to integrate their back stories.

The TV series has cleverly only borrowed the premise and added it's own flavour and twists making the story more interesting. My favourite character and POV was Glass who wasn't even featured in the TV series. Her romance with Luke was sweet and the events towards the end of the book were sad and sweet. Bellamy was a little more mellow in the book but Wells felt as bland as ever.

Regardless, I enjoyed The 100 book, if not for the actually story but how differently it pans out from the TV series. I have the next book in the series, 21 days, which I'd be picking up soon.


This review is based on a review copy received from the publisher



3 comments:

Unknown on September 3, 2014 at 12:52 AM said...

I loved the 100 and Day21 was also amazing. I knew there was a TV show but I haven't watched it yet.
GREAT review,
Your reader,
Soma
http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

Unknown on August 4, 2015 at 11:40 AM said...

This is some enjoyable stuff. It took me a while to locate this website but it was worth the time. I noticed this page was buried in google and not the number one spot. This web site has Elite Test 360 a ton of nice stuff and it does not deserve to be burried in the search engines like that. By the way Im going to save this website to my favorites.I had this article saved some time in the past but my computer crashed. I have since gotten a new one and it took me a while to come across this! I also really like the design though.http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/elite-test-360/


Unknown on August 20, 2015 at 2:11 PM said...

I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. Synagen IQ I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.http://www.healthsupreviews.com/synagen-iq/

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting