Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Review: Clipped Wings (Clipped Wings #1) by Helena Hunting


Tattooed and hunky. What’s more to ask for?
Title: Clipped Wings
Series: Clipped Wings
Author: Helena Hunting
Publisher: Orion Books, UK
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 13th March, 2014
With New Adult titles popping left, right and centre, enjoying a true NA tittle is rare. They are being shoved down my throat making me keep them at a distance. However, the rave reviews from my fellow bloggers made me give this a second chance.

The plot centres around Hayden, who is a guy who has seen it all and done it all. Drugs, crime, alcohol and strip clubs. But now he is concentrating on running his tattoo shop where he meets Tenley. The quiet, shy girl, who works at this aunt’s antique shop. Tenley, on the other hand, has her own past from which she is running away. She is trying to start a new life but the ghost from her past will not leave her alone. So she decides to get a tattoo as her attempt to break free. During the process of making the tattoo, Tenley and Hayden get close and the spark between them ignites.

I started Clipped wings with low expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised. The relationship developed between Tenley and Hayden was slowly. Their attraction was like a slow burner with stolen glances and quick touches and few words exchanged. But when Tenley decides to get her back tattooed things take a decisive turn.

Like every other NA title out there, both Hayden and Tenley have their own demons to deal with and this is what brings them together. Both understand pain at a visceral level and I believe is what connects them. The sex scenes where hot and the tension leading up to it was thick. Exactly how I like it.

What I enjoyed the most was the dual perspective of the characters. Usually dual perspective can be jarring and confusing. Moreover, I don’t particularly enjoy a male POV. However, Clipped Wings had me loving Hayden’s POV. His voice was honest, entertaining with a dry sense of humour. In fact, I’d rather have had the whole book in Hayden’s POV. I did not have any deep impression of Tenley. I understand that her pain is still raw but I felt disconnected to her. Regardless, I still enjoyed the little interactions between them.

Overall, Clipped Wings is a great NA title with real characters and two people who not only have a connection but even though they come from such different background their pain brings them together. Clipped Wings is no Beautiful Disaster but it’s a wonderfully written story about two people who fall in love and it was meant to be. It ends with a sort of a cliff hanger so I will be reading the next book, Inked Armour when it comes out.

ARC received by Orion Books, UK via NetGalley


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting