Thursday, May 10, 2012

Review: Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter 0) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

My rating: 3 out of 5 stars

How would you like to have your very own Greek love slave? All you would need is do is a spell and the warrior would come out of the ancient book to be at your beck and call for one full month.

Fantasy Lover has got a fantastic story line. Grace has been chaste since the last 7 years even if she has been a sex therapist. One drunken night she and her friend Selena manage to get hold of an ancient book from which Grace manages to procure the warrior pictured, for herself who will be her lover for 1 full month.

Great story line. But it fell kind of flat for me. There was so much potential and Kenyon made use of it but I was unable to feel anything for the characters. Yes, I did feel sorry for Julian in the passing but apart from that I did not feel the magic in their relationship. They fell in love slowly but ‘why’ they did was a bit sketchy for me.

The heroine, Grace, felt plain to me. I generally love stories with plain-janes but her personality did not make me like her. She had a pain-full past and I knew I should be feeling sorry for her but I could not.
Julian on the other hand was a well written, incredibly tortured soul. He had personality and depth. He was brave, loyal, intelligent and sexy. He was an ideal person to be trapped in a book and rescued by a woman. In other words, a perfect paranormal romance hero.

I did not have a lot of problem with the writing but I thought perhaps it could have been made a little faster as it was slow at times.
The sudden turn around by Julian’s mother took me back a bit but I took it with a pinch of salt. I wish there was less of “She felt the way she never felt before” to more sexy banter and sexual tension.

Kenyon’s take on Cupid/Eros wearing a biker jacket and leather was interesting. I would never look at Cupid the same way again.

Overall an average PNR, which was an okay read for me but it lacked excitement which makes hearts do back-flips. I may or may not read the next bookin The Dark Hunter series but I’m not in any hurry.


1 comments:

Alexa on May 11, 2012 at 4:50 AM said...

Aw I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one. I really loved this one and it is still my favorite Dark Hunter book even though it is really a prequel to the Dark Hunters.

I hope you like the first book in the Dark Hunter series because it really introduces the Dark Hunters better and has more going on.

Thanks for the great review.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting