Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Terrible Girls Club: Review

This is an exciting new feature started by us, The Terrible Girls Club, where we talk and do all kinds of terrible things to books. This week I did a YA buddy read with HeatherJay from Paranormal Itch. I had read many good reviews about this book so, we decided to a go at it.


A MONSTER CALLS by Patrick Ness

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars

A Monster Calls should come with a disclaimer attached: Read at the risk of puffy eyes and non stop tears. Urges to curl up and cry may also occur.

This wasn’t what I had expected. At all. I went into this thinking it would be a terrifying and frightening horror books full of action and adventure. I could’nt be more wrong. It had terror and horror but only for me. I enjoyed this as much as suffered with it.

Connor is a thirteen year old boy living with his single mother, whose father has just moved to the States to start a new family. Everynight at 12.07 Connor is woken by his name being called in the dark. He wakes up to see a monster looking back at him from his room’s window. He thinks it is a dream and pushes it off his mind because God knows he has got other things going on in his life that need his attention.
The next day he is again woken up at 12.07 by the same monster asking, no, demanding him the answers he is not ready to give.

The story starts off pretty normal with mundane day to day activities described but as it moves on you are sucked into Connor’s world. His life, his struggle and his story. I was moved to tears with this heartbreaking story of a young boy.

After each scene I would think, ”It can’t get sadder than that.”, but I was proved wrong again and again. At the last scene I gave up trying to control my tears and just cried out right.

This was as much about Connor as it is about the Monster.It had so much more meaning in it it just a story about a young person and his life. I am sure this book will be read and re-read, dissected to pull out its hidden meaning in the future years because it was so much more than just a story. It had a bit of everyone in it. I felt Connor in every page and felt his pain. Never had a  book make me think that i don't wanna be that person. It is cruel but I don't want to be in the same position as Connor.

I cried non-stop after reading this and it has been along time since I have been so moved by a story.

The hardback for this was supposed to be with illustrations but as I read this on my Kindle I was saved for I cannot imagine what I would be like if it came with more.

The Monster lives in all of us and when we need it some point of our lives it will manifests itself to save us from ourselves.

Check out HeatherJay's blog  at Paranormal Itch to see what she had to say about A Monster Calls.

Have something to say? Feel free to comment below. I love chatting to people with book blogs and also with those who don't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great review, Samina! This was fun, we need to do this buddy review again!

Escapism Fanatic on April 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM said...

I really liked it too Heather.
Let's keep this TGC thing going.

Addicted2Heroines on April 24, 2012 at 11:53 PM said...

You ladies have me convinced. I have to buy this book.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting