Sunday, March 6, 2016

Audiobook Review: Gameboards of the Gods (Age of X #1) by Richelle Mead



Futuristic, bad ass and ambitious

Title: Gameboard of the Gods
Series: Age of X
Author: Richelle Mead
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 4th June, 2013
Anything that Richelle Mead writes has always been enjoyable to me. However, mixed reviews for this series made me hesitate. I shouldn't have, as she reinstilled my faith in her. Gameboard Of the Gods is Mead's new adult series which I think has been her most ambitious yet.

While I have enjoyed her YA Vampire Academy series, I have always preferred her adult series. Georgina Kincaid series was my introduction into the world of urban fantasy and I never looked back. That series will always hold a dear place in my heart.

Gameboard of the Gods has an elaborate plot, world building and quite convoluted relationships and I wouldn't expect anything else from her. Without going too much into plot, the story is set in a futuristic version of North America where our main protagonists are Mae, a implant enhanced future super soldier and Justin, an exiled officer with questionable morals.

I admit it took me a little while to really get into the story but once I did I was wholly invested in it. Mead has a talent for writing in small clues throughout the story which beautifully comes together towards the end. But the best thing about Gameboard of the Gods was Mae. and Justin's relationship and both their personalities. Both of them are not exactly what you call good people. Selfish, rude and with eschewed morals (especially Justin) they make for an interesting pair. Their chemistry was off the charts and the whole forbidden attraction was played really well, which I may add this author is an expert in.

I had one complaint and this is about the narration. Emily Shaffer, the narrator did a great job of encompassing each character's personality but I wish she did male voices a little more huskier. While she managed to make Justin sound suitably flippant and cocky, his voice didn't sound any different from the female voice of Mae.

Overall, I'll recommend this book to all fantasy fans but will ask them to go in with an open mind and let the story take you. I seem to be in the minority who loved this book but I have a feeling if you go in not expecting Richelle Mead's usual style, you'll most certainly enjoy it.




1 comments:

aparajita on March 8, 2016 at 7:36 PM said...

I have heard varying reviews of this book and the series in general but happy to see you liked it well. I am just 2 books short of finishing Mead's Bloodlines series, I will definitely begin this once i finish that. Great Review.

Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting