Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses (ACOTAR #1) by Sarah J. Maas



Read the next phenomenon in YA/NA
Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Series: : A Court of Thron and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher:Bloomsbury Childrens Books, UK
My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars
Releases: 7th May, 2010
Over the course of a few years Sarah J Maas has become something of an auto buy author for me. Which is rare as not every book turned out by YA writers appeal to me but I think Sarah has a skill to keep churning out which hits just the right spots for me. Her Throne of Glass series has become an annual celebration for me where I can immerse myself in Celeana’s world. I adore that series (Read my reviews of Throne of GlassCrown of Midnight, Heir of Fire, The Assassin’s Blade) and cannot wait for Queen of Shadows coming in September. When I was given a copy of A Court of Thorns and Roses I was beyond excited but I had been saving it for a better time. And let me tell you the wait was worth it. Now I’m bummed that I don’t have the next book on me. As with any 5 star review the following may be filled with fangirling and dispersed occasional with squeals. Now that we have dispersed with warnings I can follow through my review.

Feyre lives in a small little village on the bordering human and faerie territories. She hunts in the nearby woods and provided for her family. While she has heard of the elusive faeries but has never set her eyes on them until one night when her family is nearly starving in the winter that she spots a wolf that may be fae and manages to bring it down. But a few days later she is taken away by a wild looking beast snarling at her door for killing a fae and she is taken to replace his life. She is to stay in Fae territories and live the rest of her life with the beastly Tamlin, and his unwelcoming friend. While she is served by an array of servants she is sill a prisoner in a guilder cage. However danger is not far away and soon she may be having feeling for her captor no prisoner should have.

I can admit that I’m not giving justice to the plot but believe me people it is awesome. A Court of Thorns and Roses (known as ACOTAR from hence forth) is a fairy tale retelling of the beauty and the beast. I love love love fairy tales and the combination of fantasy, action and beautiful writing made this book an instant favourite.

It has been a while since I have found a series which I can unashamedly fangirl about and this book is it. Feyre is such a well thought out heroine. She is self sacrificing and lives with her lazy and deplorable sister. When she first arrives at Tamlin’s Manor she is subdued and quiet but she finds her inner iron core soon enough. Her chemistry with Tamlin was off the charts and there romance was so, so sweet. It was slow burning, swoon worthy and honest to god made my heart skip a few beats. The Fire Night scene was unforgettable ands sexy as hell. This not a YA book. Not, it is anew adult and Sarah shows how New Adult is done.

There is character development where pretty much each and every character learns and grows from the experiences into his books and learns about each other.

The writing is excellent and the imagery used by Sarah J Mass is lush, beautiful and absolutely stunning. On a side note, do check out her Pinterest Boards to get an even better visual of her imagery. Like all her books, ACOTOR has a slow start and some people may even find it dragging towards the middle but I find that the action catches up to you quickly enough and in all fairness I am too busy exulting in the story to have noticed the slow pace. This book may be slightly long for your average YA/NA book but in my opinion is was worth it. In fact I want the next book even longer. The longer the better.

Tamlin is simply swoon worthy and he is everything I could ask for. He is mysterious, determined, noble and oh so smouldering. I wanted more of him. Also to mention Lucien whose banter with Feyre was spot on and provided this weird dynamic which I loved. What I should mention at this point is that Rhysand or Rhys as he is known is another character who is quite mysterious and dangerous I thoroughly enjoyed the role he played towards the end. As we see more of him towards the end, he leaves a very strong impression. I know in my bones and there is more for us in store about Rhys in Book 2 and I simply cannot wait for it.

Over all I predict great things for this series. I know that this series is going to become a phenomenon. There is no doubt in my mind that this book will rock great many readers. Not only does it appeal to the girly side of me which likes fairy tales, jewellery and dresses but also my blood thirsty side which demands blood, grime and body parts being flung about.

A Court of Thorns and Roses was intense, captivating, sensual, and it will make you obsessive over it.

Now that I have read the advanced copy I have an even longer wait for the next book which comes out next year. This was a book which left be hugging the book and heaving a giant sigh with a ginormous grin of satisfaction on my face. An absolute must read! I want MAORR!!!

Releasing 7th May. 2015. Mark the date on your calenders!

Review copy provided by Bloomsbury Childrens Books, UK





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting