Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Review: The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy #1) by Amy Engel


Just the right amount of everything
Title: The Book of Ivy
Series: The Book of Ivy
Author: Amy Engel
Publisher: Entangles Teen, US
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 11th November, 2014
T he premise for the Book of Ivy is quite intriguing and needless to say, this book does not disappoint. Set in a post-apocalyptic world, Ivy is the younger daughter of a family who lost the leadership to the little township they live in. The teenagers here have arranged marriages but Ivy is married to the President’s son. However she has been trained to assassinate him so that she and her family can extract revenge for the murder of her mother and get back control over their settlement.

Determined to succeed Ivy start her new life with trepidation as to what kind of person she has been married to and how she will earn his trust. Turns out that Bishop is not at how Ivy expected him to be. Slowly as time passes and she gets to know him better, does Ivy have any chance of bringing her plans to fruition?

I surprising enjoyed this book. With a small town setting, where this rag tag group of people are trying to make ends meet, I enjoyed how slowly events were unveiled and how Ivy’s black and white world turns grey. Her inner turmoil and loyalties made for riveting drama and the suspense had me on edge.

My favourite part, undoubtedly just like everybody else, was the relationship between Ivy and Bishop. Married to strangers, they start their new lives with awkwardness and distrust but slowly Amy Engel brought them together and it was beautiful. Ivy and Bishop are meant to be and their chemistry was off the charts.

I read this book in one sitting and I am sure it will capture the imagination of other readers. The story may not be feel completely original as I have read many other books with a similar plotline but the way it is handled and written is what makes all the difference.

One complaint however is the cover where it shows a backdrop of skyscrapers and I thought it will be sci-fi as it is set in a post-apocalyptic world. Turns out it is a small city state, where the everything is quaint and cute.

A light and sweet read with just the right amount of romance, suspense, action and drama.

ARC provided by Entangled Teen via NetGalley


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting