Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Review: The Lynburn Legacy ( Unspoken and UnTold) by Sarah Rees Brennan


This is a review of the first two books Unspoken and Untold from The Lynburn Lecacy Series.
Spooky, eerie and dark

Title: Unspoken and Untold
Series: The Lynburn Legacy
Author: Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher: Simon and Schuster, UK
My ratings: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Released: 13th September, 2012
After reading tons of accolades after accolades and 5 stars reviews from the hardest to please book reviewers, I have been had The Lynburn Legacy series on my TBR since it first released. When I was going through a reading phunk, I picked this series up hoping it will being me out of it but alas, it did not succeed.

The premise was interesting enough, with a small town setting in the sleepy English town called Sorry - in- the Vale and focused on Kami who has always spoken to a voice in her head. She is her best friend and she is secretly in love with him. But one day, the town Mansion's owners the Lynburn's have been rumoured to have arrived from the states to start living in the Mansion and it turns out that Jared, the voice in Kami's head does exist and he is real, right in front of her. I fell in love with a blurb like this as I absolutely love the whole dream boy/ ghost friend coming to life scenario but I have yet to come across a book which will do justice to it. I was assured that this book does and I agree.

The relationship between Jared and Kami when faced with this situation is awkward and uncomfortable/ They don't know what to do with each other and it's painful for both of them as they have lost their best friends and are struggling to come to terms with this. To make matters worse young girls are being killed in this quite village and turns out everything is not as it seems. A mystery set in the sleepy English country side with an eerie setting and a spooky atmosphere, The Lynburn series pushes all the right buttons.

While this series is everything a YA fanatic would ask for, I struggled to really get into it. It was hard to really put my finger on what was it that I struggled with as everything was spot on. Beautiful gothic setting, with a mystery which will keep the pages turning, it transports the reader into a different world where danger is right round the corner. I believe it is the writing style which doesn't' sit well with me. I don't like the way the characters speak nor do I like how the pacing is set as sometimes the story focuses on Kami and Jared and other it focuses too much on the setting. I did not enjoy Kami and found her hard to feel 'connected' to.

My favourite character has to Jared as I felt for him. He is the one who is going through the worst of it. In Unspoken it is not apparent but in Untold Brennan did a number on him especially with a cliff hanger like that. Saying all the above, Unspoken and Untold are not bad books. In fact they are really good books and many readers will enjoy it. It score high point in all the technical sects in writing a story but for me personally, I felt a lack of connection and passion for the characters. In my opinion, Unspoken was more enjoyable than Untold but I am hoping that Unmade will finally convince me that it will make me 'feel' for the story and make me slightly more invested in the story.




2 comments:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies on November 21, 2014 at 1:58 PM said...

I've been kind of on the fence about whether or not I should read this series ... I think maybe I'll just look out for it in my local library as opposed to hunting down a copy in a bookstore!

Escapism Fanatic on November 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM said...

It is worth a try as the book has received good reviews all around but it was simply a matter of personal preference here.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting