Saturday, November 1, 2014

Review: The Hook Up (Game On #1) by Kristen Callihan



Bold, charismatic and addictive
Title: The Hook Up
Series: Game On
Author: Kristen Callihan
Publisher: Self Published
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 8th September, 2014
When I heard that Kristen Callihan was writing a New Adult, I was up on my feet to buy a copy. My wish came true when I was offered this book. and I cannot tell you how excited I was to get it.

Admittedly, I have been lately disillusioned but the vast amount of upcoming NA tittles which seem to follow a similar plot line. Angst and lots of smexy scenes. However, I went into The Hook -Up without any trepidation, as I had completely faith in Kristen, that she will deliver. I'm glad to say that, yes, she delivered in a spectacular way. I had only read her Historical Paranormal series, The Darkest London, which I'm a rabid fan off, but I can assure you, the story does not feel like that the author is writing a New adult for the first time.

The Hook Up is bold, charismatic and addictive. All the quality I crave in any book. Drew is the star quarterback at Anna's College. He is something of an upcoming star with lots of championships won and his career decided for him. But when he first lays his eyes on Anna, he is smitten. Anna on the other hand, dismisses her visceral reaction to him, seeing that he is a jock and attention follows him around like a shadow. Slowly, their attraction spills over and they give in and decide to have a hook up. As the gods of hook up know, that this friends with benefit relationship doesn't last long and soon both of them are stumbling towards a genuine relationship, struggling to come to terms with their feelings.

The book is written in first person dual perspective, with the POV changing with each chapter. While Anna's POV gave insight into her mind, I could not help but think that Drew was the true star of this tale. Drew with his handsomeness, his football, his personality. That man was good at everything. Well, almost everything. Kristen made him a lousy cook, which in my opinion, makes him more human.

Anna was a little hard to like. She was a tough cookie and she had her reasons, but my sympathies towards Drew made her slightly disagreeable to me. I am grateful for her POV's for else it was easy to label her as unreasonable and slightly bitchy.

The Hook Up is a must read for any self proclaimed NA fan, who wants to read something different that this genre has to offer. Drew and Anna will steal your breath and your heart. And if you like it, then her next book Friend Zone is coming out soon and if you want even more Kristen Callihan, check out her Darkest London Series. You won't regret it.

ARC provided by the author.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting