Tuesday, November 25, 2014

ARC Review: Never Judge A Lady By Her Cover (Rules of Scoundrels #4) by Sarah MacLean


Romance filled with drama but a tad too much
Title: Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover
Series: The Rules of Scoundrels
Author: Sarah MacLean
Publisher: Piatkus, UK
My ratings: 3 out of 5 stars
Releases: 25th November, 2014
Sarah MacLean is one of those authors , who I know will entertain me with her writing, time and time again. Saying that, Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover, failed to impress me.

The premise starts with the revelation that the mysterious, all power owner of the elite gaming hell in London is none other than Lady Georgina who has a scandalous past and recently has been trying to re-enter society. She was an unwed mother who was ruined when she was sixteen but now she wants to marry so that she can gleam some respectability for her daughter Caroline and secure her future.

One night she meets Duncan West, this time as Lady Georgina and not Chase and sparks fly. He immediately finds out that there is more to her than what it seems and both come to an agreement that he will help her regain her status in the ton through his newspaper.

There were some element in this story I enjoyed the most of which was the burning attraction between Duncan and Georgina. But apart from that there wasn’t much to keep me going till the end. Reading the blurb made me think that Georgina would be a hard ass nail to crack and it would be interesting to see how she reacts as she is the Queen of The London Underworld but she becomes a quivering mass of a girl when in love, and lost all her sense. She was adamant in hiding her identity and kept making Duncan jealous again and again which most was the story was hinged on.

Furthermore, the writing was filled with dramatic flair, which made sentences long and I lost my train of thoughts many times. The story had its share of angst and not all what I had come to expect from MacLean’s style of fun, quirky, historical romances which are light and entertaining.

The only part where her wit shone through was when all the members of the Fallen Angels got together, the banter and name calling was fun, nostalgic and made me connect with the characters.

Overall, a good attempt of providing closure to Chase’s story but it failed to hit the mark for me.

ARC provided by Piatkus Books, UK  

Releases on the 25th of November, 2014



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting