Monday, July 14, 2014

Review: The One (Selection #3) by Kiera Cass


Enchanting and sweet
Title: The One
Series: Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperCollins Children’s Books, UK
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 5th June, 2014
Like for many of us the cover of The One gives away what the final instalment of The Selection series by Kiera Cass will be about.

I was smitten with the first book, The Selection. The writing had an almost amateurish in its simplicity and the dystopian world was under developed but I absolutely loved the narrative. The plot was simple and elegant that made you think why somebody hadn’t thought of it before?

I loved America, Aspen and Maxon and their back and forth between the convoluted politics of the Palace and the girls.

The Elite further reinforced my love for this series with its sweet romance, it touched my heart as how America and Maxon were slowly getting closer and perhaps giving both a chance for a romance of a life time.

I was waiting for The One with bated breath. Everybody pretty much knew the ending of this one as the cover and the title utterly gave it away. The One started off strongly with the elements I love about this series leading into what I assumed would be a fantastic finale.

However, it seems like Kiera took the feedback of her readers this time and the rebels and the political aspect of the story hugely over shadowed the romantic plot. I knew what the author was trying to do, which was giving America perspective so that she could be a better Queen for the country but I really didn’t like how dark this book slowly became. It has a few deaths and I didn’t like Maxon as much as I had liked him before. He claimed he liked America but he kept hanging out with Kris. I understand that he had to do what was demanded and expected of him but it felt that he was cheating on America.

I’m not sure how I liked the way the angle with Aspen was resolved with a tiny pink bow stuck to it but at least all threads were tied up in the end. But my favourite scene was the Maxon and America in the rain on the roof terrace.

Regardless of my rants, The One was still an entertaining, fun and sweet story. The whole series is highly recommended as it light, cute and romantic with a plot which will leave you torn. With its fairy tale like plot and memorable characters it will leave you enchanted and turning the pages late into the night.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting