Saturday, July 12, 2014

Review: The Dark World (The Dark World #1) by Cara Lynn Shultz


Demon Slaying Warlocks descend in New York
Title: The Dark World
Series: The Dark World
Author: Cara Lynn Shultz
Publisher: Harlequin Teen, US
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 27th May, 2014
T he Dark World took me by surprise. I had not read anything by Cara Lynn Shultz before but I have had her other series on my TBR from donkey years.

The Dark World is set in modern day New York where Paige is a high school girl who lives with her parent goes to school like any other regular girl. She attends classes, hangs out with her besties, skips lessons but the only difference is that her best friend is a ghost. Paige has been able to see ghost for a long time and hence has be slotted into the weird person category in her school. Unfazed by it all she carries on with her life but one day she notices that the cute guy who sits next to her seems to be interested in her. Turns out that Logan, the new guy is a demon slayer and his job is to protect the world from demons and warlock.

I really enjoyed the writing and the plot. Everything fell into place as the story progresses and all the characters were what I’d expect them to be like. Paige was clever, responsible and fearless. She would rather be friends with a ghost and be ostracised for being crazy than be accepted in the popular throng of people. I liked her confidence and the fact there was no confusion as to what she wanted for herself. Of course things change over the course of the book which throws her in turmoil but I appreciate how she handles the situation.

Logan was pretty cute, sweet and kick ass at the same time. He rocked a sword and the demon slaying stint and he had an eye for good things in life namely in choosing Paige. Their romance was really sweet with just the right amount of sexual tension thrown in.

The side characters were well hashed out and the world building with the demon and warlocks was interesting enough. However, with the way the book came to an end, the world was turned upside down on its head and past alliances and friendships are being question and I have to say I’m looking forward to the next book.

The Dark World was fun, action filled and engrossing. I felt invested in the characters, the story with no love triangles (Thank God!) and dodgy characters who may or may not be trusted. I’d recommend it to any YA fantasy fan who is de up of the same old vampire, werewolf, faery, angel, dystopia troupe.

ARC received from Harlequin Teen via NetGalley


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

exceptional site post. I'm going to bookmark and check out much more often. I adore the site Cognimaxx XL templateSimply to let you know your site looks a little bit weird in Mozilla on my laptop with Ubuntu .http://www.healthcaresups.com/cognimaxx-xl/

Anonymous said...

Hello I think your blog is very good i found it on google I think will come back again Hi, I just ran across your blog via Bing. Cognimaxx XL Your article is truly pertinent to my life at this moment, and I’m really happy I discovered your website.Have you heard about a Treadmill desk? it´s an alternate way to exercise while doing your day to day work.http://www.healthsupreviews.com/cognimaxx-xl/


Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting