Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Review: The Girl Who Never Was (Otherworld #1) by Skylar Dorset


Entertaining but unremarkable
Title: The Girl Who Never Was
Series: Otherworld  
Author: Skylar Dorset
Publisher: Source Books
My ratings: 3 out of 5 stars
Released: 1st June, 2014
If the cover for The Girl Who Never Was doesn't make you pick up the book then he blurb does. Selkie Stewart is not as normal as she thinks she is. In fact she is a half Ogre and half Faerie princess. The city of Boston, her strange aunts and the boy who meets her in town every day may seem a little mysterious but when she finds out the truth, the world around her changes its meaning forever. Now danger lurks at every corner and she keeps uncovering new creatures and turns out her own mother want to kill her due to a prophecy.

The Girl Who Never Was ticks all the boxes for a well selling YA title. However, I was not enchanted by this new take on faeries and the over used Tir Na Nog. While the writing and the narrative were serviceable the story had nothing remarkable about it. The world building was simple and the story had no surprises which made me sit up and take notice.

I did enjoy Selkie and Ben's relationship which was sweet and tender and also the prophesy at the end a great opening for more books. I loved Selkie's aunts who were strange and funny in their own strange ways and Will the cheeky flirt.

Overall The Girl Who Never Was is a promising start to a new YA series. Filled with new creatures, prophecies, cute boys and a lot more, The Girl Who Never Was will appeal to a large audience. It may not be memorable but it did not annoy me nor did it grate on my nerves. That in itself is an achievement. I may or may not read the next book, but the cover is gorgeous nevertheless.

ARC provided by SourceBooks via NetGalley


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting