Friday, July 4, 2014

Review: After The End (After The End #1) by Amy Plum


Conspiracy, secrets and two worlds collide
Title: After The End
Series: After The End
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: Harper Collins, US
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 6th May, 2014
I picked up After The End during a particularly bad reading phunk I was going through. I had never read Amy Plum’s work before but I had heard enough about her Revenants Series that I was confident that her skills would be at par in entertaining me. And that, my friends, she did.

Don’t be fooled by it’s blurb or it’s cover. It is not a dystopian. It starts off like one, the main characters believe it but she has been living a lie. Juneau has grown up in a tribe in Alaska, away from any contact with anyone but her tribesmen believe that they are the survivors of World War 3 which wiped out the world. It is only their connection with Yara. Juneau’s connection to the Yara is the strongest but one day when she returns home after hunting everyone in her tribe is gone. It is clear that they have been taken away and as she starts off to find her tribe it is clear that the same people were looking for her too. Along the way she meets Miles, who reluctantly agrees to help her but everybody has their secrets and so does Miles.

I really enjoyed this book as it had what I’d expect from a heart racing thriller. It was well written and I could easily imagine it being made into a movie. There were alternative POVs which some people find disconcerting but they were well written I breezed through them. I particularly loved the interaction between Juneau and Miles as even if they were of a similar age, personality wise they couldn’t have been further apart. While Juneau was a survivalist, a hunter, and born wild, Miles was born from the source of capitalism, a spilt only child who wanted to prove a point to his Dad.

Miles thought Juneau was absolutely nuts Juneau thought that he was a liability.

“I'm lying here in a tent, pretending to be asleep but actually fearing for my life as I watch a bunny murderer have a conversation with our campfire.”


It was hilarious and it brought a sense of lightness to the already grave situation they were in, with many parties looking for them. But even amongst the chaos I could see and feel the simmer attraction they had for each other and I lapped every bit of it.

I do have to point out that at some places I felt the story dragged and some events felt very ‘convenient’ for the plot. I’m not sure how I felt about the cliff hanger as I have a love hate relationship with them.

Overall, After The End is a fresh approach to a story which is rife with conspiracy, secrets and what happens when two completely different world collapse into each other. After The End will either intrigue you enough to keep reading in the wee hours of the nigh or make you lose interest and stop reading it. Either way it is something that I enjoyed taking a risk on and got more than enough back to make it worth my time.




7 comments:

Unknown on August 4, 2015 at 11:34 AM said...

Good thinking. Wondering what you think of its implication on society as a whole though? People obviously get frustrated when Elite Test 360 it begins to affect them locally. I will be back soon and follow up with a response.I was questioning in case you can be interested by changing into a guest poster on my weblog? and in exchange you could possibly put a hyperlink the post? Please let me know once you get an opportunity and Ill send you my contact details - thanks. Anyway, in my language, there are not much good source like this.http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/elite-test-360/


Unknown on August 7, 2015 at 2:03 PM said...

This sort of thing needs to happen! Really its a must to take a look past everything and get upset. Addium This will help you stay above the curve.I have read a few of the blog posts on your blog these few days, and I truly like your way of blogging. I added it to my favorites site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site too and let me know your thought.http://guidemesupplements.com/addium/

Unknown on August 20, 2015 at 2:08 PM said...

Thank you so much with regard to giving everyone an update on this issue on your website. Synagen IQ Please be aware that if a brand-new post appears or in the event that any improvements occur on the current article, I would consider reading more and focusing on how to make good usage of those methods you discuss. Thanks for your efforts and consideration of others by making this blog available.http://www.healthsupreviews.com/synagen-iq/

SynagenIQ on August 21, 2015 at 12:10 PM said...

Interesting point of view. Wondering what you think of its implication on society as a whole though? Neuro Elite People obviously get frustrated when it begins to affect them locally. Ill be around soon to check out your response.Thank you on your assist!http://www.supplements4help.com/neuro-elite/

Kraemer Jason on August 25, 2015 at 10:20 AM said...

Very nice post. I have really enjoyed visiting your site posts. In any case I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope Alpha XTRM you write again soon! Thanks a lot, I'll attempt to visit more frequently. Happy new year!http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/alpha-xtrm/

Anonymous said...

some truly prize content on this internet site , bookmarked .Not a unhealthy post, did it take you numerous of time to consider it? Cognimaxx XLAppreciation for the great blog post. I am glad I have taken the time to learn this.Not a dangerous post, did it take you numerous of your time to consider it?http://www.healthcaresups.com/cognimaxx-xl/


Anonymous said...

The Awards Ceremony will take place at 7:30 pm, Friday, January 9 at the Herbst Theater in San Francisco. Its an elegant, Cognimaxx XL old world theater with 900 seats that will help give the awards the air of importance we believe they deserve. General admission tickets will be released in December. When angry count four; when very angry, swear. http://www.healthsupreviews.com/cognimaxx-xl/

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting