Sunday, March 9, 2014

Review: World After (Penryn & the End of Days #2) by Susan Ee


Evil Angels and a talking Sword (almost)

Title: World After
Series: Penryn & the End of Days
Author: Susan Ee
Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton
My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars.
Released: 21st November, 2013
World After is the epic sequel we all had been waiting for after AngelFall. It is no secret I fell in love with AngelFall. The story, plot, characters and settings were top notch and I loved the thrilling ride Susan Ee took me. So since a million years, 2 years really, I have been impatiently anxiously waiting for World After.

World After was a worthy sequel and more after AngelFall. Penryn is still trying to save herself, her mother and her sister when everything around her is crumbling down. She is with her family in a refugee camp trying to piece everything together but bigger things are at play and soon they have to face the perils of life outside too. At the end of Angelfall we had Paige in some awful circumstance and in this book she is still suffering. Raffe was absent in most of the book which was grievously felt but when he makes a come back what a come back it was.

I absolutely love Penryn and her approach to life, danger and all obstacles that life throws at her. Her resilience and her positive attitude makes her a rarity in the YA world. She is so different from all the many Young adult heroines out there who whine, moan and complain and are extremely immature even for their age. Whereas Penryn while being a teen still has a good head between her shoulders and thank fully doesn't get swept away with teenage angst.

Her mother on the other hand is still bat shit crazy and I can't figure out what and how she achieves these incredible feats and what Susan Ee plans with her character.

Raffe, my beautiful demigod. He was absent in most of the most and I truly was getting impatient for his appearance. I missed his dry humour and his style of tension that he brings on to the pages. When he does appear Penryn and Raffe do get there moments but honestly, for me, it wasn't enough.

Susan in her style had a well-crafted story, tight story line and gripping plot to keep the reader invested. The world World After is set in, is quite depressing and dark but for some reason I can see hope for the survivors of the Angel Invasion. The story concluded well but it felt like a new beginning was round the corner. I adored World After and I'm so glad I read it as it brought me out of my reading phunk. My only complaint was about less Raffe page time.

Overall World After was a excellent YA book with a no nonsense heroine, action packed, thrilling adventure with a smidgeon of romance thrown in. I'd recommend to all fans of dystopian, YA ,The Hunger Games and Divergent. A must read.

Released on the 21st November, 2013



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting