Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review: The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott


Unexpected delight
Title: The Swan Kingdom
Author: Zoe Marriott
Publisher: Walker Books, UK
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: July, 2011
A fairy tale retelling? Call me game. I had heard Zoe Marriott’s name a lot recently by some of my fellow book bloggers and she had been an author I was looking out for. I knew she had written a few books and when browsing through the library I came across The Swan Kingdom, curiosity took the better of me.

I have to say I had not read the original fairy tale before reading The Swan Kingdom so I went in with an open mind. I was pleasantly surprised as to how much I enjoyed the book. Alexandra is a princess in a faraway kingdom and when he mother is mysteriously killed her father seems to have been charmed over by some creature in the disguise of a beautiful maiden. Before you know it she has taken over the palace and Alexandra’s brothers. This story was Alexandra’s quest for justice and retribution.

The story started off slowly but it managed to build the setting and the relationships Alexandra hard with her family. She was someone I could easily understand and felt her grow and learn through the various hardships she had to endure. I had a smidgeon of sweet romance thrown in with magical and mystical powers at play.

The Swan Kingdom was a relatively short, simple and easy read. I gave me what I expected it would escapism into a wondrous land of Princesses, prince and the evil witch. I found the writing easy to follow while it engaged me with the story and the plot. Zoe Marriott is definitely an author I’d look out for and her books will find their way into my book shelves.

Released July, 2011 in the UK




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting