Monday, March 3, 2014

Review: Fearsome Dreamer (Fearsome Dreamer #1) by Laure Eve


Highly anticipated book yet fell flat.
Title:  Fearsome Dreamer
Series: Fearsome Dreamer
Author: Laure Eve
Publisher: Hot Key Books, UK
My ratings: 2 out of 5 stars
Released: 3rd October, 2013

Fearsome Dreamer has been on my radar for a while and when I saw this book I snapped it before you can say ‘Ah’. I had heard so many praises about this book regarding its intricate world building, sensual tones and in depth characterisations that my expectations were soaring high. I thought “Finally a book which will certainly get me out of my reading phunk!”

Alas, all my expectations came crashing down. I simple could not ‘get’ the story. I kept on reading and reading but nothing jumped out to me. I desperately wanted to finish this book so I bravely soldiered on but the story could not capture me. In a post- apocalyptic world people have two realities they can exist in. One is which you actually exist and the other you can connect to a virtual world with a virtual identity and connect with people all over the world. White has a rare ability that the government wants so he escapes in finds refuge in Angle Tar. This is where he meets Vela who may or may not have this talent and he is assigned to tutor her. A lot of jealousy, attraction, betrayal, and teen angst later the book ends with the cliff hanger of sorts.

Fearsome Dreamer from the synopsis, sounded like it was the story of Vela but in fact it was more about White. In fact these two don’t even get to meet until the last two third of the book. The plot felt quite simplistic and the world building setting slightly confusing and flat. The Big Bad villain had me scratching my head with bafflement and I still could not figure out what was the point of it all.

Fearsome Dreamer is in no way a bad book. It has a variety of characters with varying degrees of grey in them. I liked that the characters short comings pulled the story forward and everybody had an agenda of the their own. It just simply failed to capture my interest. I was lured in by the futuristic cover and the rave reviews but in the end it was not a book that tickled my fancy.

However saying that I’ll still give this series another go as Fearsome Dreamer felt like a starter, a book used to set the story and the characters in motion. So when The Illusionists comes out I will give it a go and hopefully will be able to enjoy it more than Fearsome Dreamer.

Released 3rd October, 2013 in the UK


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting