Monday, September 2, 2013

The Woken Gods by Gwenda Bond


Ancient Gods, creatures and mayhem

Title: The Woken Gods
Author: Gwenda Bond
Publisher: Strange Chemistry, UK
My ratings: 3 out of 5 stars.
Releases: 3rd September, 2013
Kyra lives in Washington D.C. In a world where the Gods of the ancient world have finally woken from their sleep, humans and Gods live amongst each other in an uneasy peace with a mysterious organisation called the Society governing them. When Kyra's father is caught stealing an ancient relic which can bring about the apocalypse, Kyra has no choice but to make an attempt to save her father. With the help of her friends and Oz she tries to rescue her father where new mysteries are revealed and she learns more about herself and her identity.

I really wanted to like The Woken Gods. When I had heard the blurb and the cover I almost fell in love with it. So when I got the Arc arrive at my door I almost cried tears of joy. Alas, it came to a crashing end.

I was excited about the premise and the setting with ancient gods but the execution left me wanting more. I did not like Kyra very much. I understood her motives and her personality but I simply could not 'feel' for her. I don't even have to like a main character to enjoy a book but this was a case of simply not feeling any sympathy or connection.

The world felt a little bit lacking and I was really confused with all the new gods being thrown away here and there, I was slightly disappointed that I did not recognise any of the 'Gods' being mentioned. Perhaps I have not read about Tricksters prior to reading The Woken Gods.

My interest rose with Oz but it died a quick death soon enough. He was okay but nothing about him jumped out at me.

The one thing I did love was Enzu, majestic and dangerous. I wouldn't have minded if he was Kyra's love interest. Well, if he turned into a boy and not some creature with fangs and massive wings.

The Woken Gods is certainly not a bad book. It was good, in fact some readers may enjoy the world building but unfortunately it left me confused and detached. This was my first time reading Gwenda Bond but I'm sure I'll read something written by her soon.

I'd recommended it to fans of new worlds, Trickster tales and high fantasy.

Releases 3rd of September, 2013
Arc provided by publisher, Strange Chemistry, UK

1 comments:

Mel@Thedailyprophecy on September 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM said...

Hmm, it's a shame that the world-building lacked and that you had a hard time with all the different Gods. I am someone who has to feel/like the MC, so that doesn't sound so good. Thanks for the honest review :)

Mel@thedailyprophecy.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting