Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones #1) by Laura Bicke


Vampires in an Amish community

Title: The Hallowed Ones
Author: Laura Bickle
Series: The Hallowed Ones
My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars.  
Released: 25th September, 2013
Gground breaking original horror story, The Hallowed Ones gripped me from the first few pages.

Katie is an Amish girl, living in an Amish community, few days before her Rumspringa when the end of the world happens. The community is not sure what is happening and to combat this, they decide to close the gates so that no one leaves or enters their land. However, when Katie's finds a wounded young man, he cannot abandon him so she brings recues him against the Elders orders.

The Hallowed Ones is not for the faint hearted. It was spooky, gruesome and grotesque. Detailed were hashed out in gory details like white bones jutting out of bloody remains, flies, falling intestines and innards. Yep, I'd suggest you don't eat while reading this, like I did. Some of the scene had me really spooked that I was looking over my shoulder in broad daylight. I loved the atmosphere Laura Bickle had set up which was quaint, simple with death lurking in corners. The vampires were monsters from hell, with claws and red eyes who'd rip you limb to limb.

Katie was a delight to read. She was straight forward, sensible and a dry sense of humour. She was not out right rebellious but she followed all order by thinking on it and then acting. I was pleased to see how through the book she learns to think through and unravelling the intricacies of her religion.

Of course there was a love interest, and I was happy that it sizzled slowly and developed over time. It was convincing and sweet. I enjoyed Alex and it was great to see a contrast between the Amish way of life and how a young man of our generation perceives them.

If you're looking for something different in the YA genre, something more mature, intelligent, entertaining, The Hallowed Ones is just right for you. It has a grown up concept about the perception of god and our beliefs surrounding it but it is brutal, clever and makes you question your own thinking. I really enjoyed Katie, her way of thinking, and in fact I learnt a lot from her too.

The Hallowed Ones is a brutally honest, robust, gruesome and terrifying book, which leaves you wanting more. I think it's a must read for anyone who calls themselves a YA fan, as I believe it has something for everyone.



2 comments:

Lectus on September 10, 2013 at 4:53 AM said...

I enjoyed this one. I agree with you that is different.

She-Wolf Reads on September 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM said...

I loved this book big time. And you're right, it's original and mature but also, I think, still relatable to the target YA audience. Katie is a wonderful heroine. Really looking forward to reading its follow-up.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting