Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Siren (The Original Sinners #1) by Tiffany Reisz



Compelling, revolting and thought provoking

Title: The Siren
Author: Tiffany Reisz
Series: The Original Sinners
Publisher: Mills and Boon, UK
My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars.
Released: 1st September, 2012

The Siren perhaps is the most conflicting book I’ve read all year. I’m really torn as to what I shall mention in my review. Tiffany Reisz’s writing had me gobsmacked. I expected it to be good but what I did not expect was to get carried away in the whirlwind of emotions she managed to wrench out of me.

It was not a romance nor was it a story; it was a piece of Nora’s life. The book was full of conflicts between pain, hurt and harm. Love and it’s various interpretations and forms, loyalty and worship. It brought out subjects whish were were uncomfortable and had me shifting on my sofa.

Tiffany is obviously quite well read and I loved how she mentioned O’Henry’s The Gift of Magi into the narration which I’ll admit had made me very sad when I’d read it. I also loved that the mantra ‘Show don’t tell’ was stuck to and I could see events in a different light each time.
The Siren’s story was the characters and them only, probed by other and how they interact. I cannot help but admire Nora for what she is and I feel sympathy for her as what she could have been. In fact she is one of the best female characters I’ve read all year. Trying to figure her out was delightful and yet I have not come any closer to deciphering her.

The one person I should mention is Soren. No matter how I see it, he is an arsehole. It is clear that he loves Nora in his demented, twisted manner but I find it hard to accept few of the things he does. The Siren was everything a book ought to be. With its slightly old fashioned way of narration (No first person POV, yippee!) it brought out emotions that I rarely expect a book to do. Compelling, conflicting, gut wrenching, jaw dropping, revolting, tear jerking and at times puzzling I was yo-yoing in various thoughts brought forward which I may have left out in my tirade of adjectives above.

As much as I’d love to read the next book in the series, The Angel, I’m in no shape to do so as I’m emotionally exhausted and need a well-earned break from the world of Nora Sutherlin. Highly recommended to anyone who perhaps has read some manner of BDSM or erotica and think he/she can handle anything, well read The Siren and see if you can see erotica/BDSM in a new light.

“There are only two reasons why you leave someone you're still in love with - either it's the right thing to do, or it's the only thing to do.”


ARC provided by the publisher.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting