Wednesday, August 29, 2012

ARC Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl (Confessions #1) by Louise Rozett

Angry, confused and a teenager

Title: Confessions of an Angry Girl
Author: Louise Rozett
Series: Confessions
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars.

Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make…1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)


What's the story about?
Rose has just started high school. She is fourteen and her father died in Iraq this summer. Her brother has left her to go to college while her mother is still in shock over what happened. This book is about what's Rose is going through and how she deals with her grief. She doesn't cry or scream. She takes it all in until she can't take it anymore. She turns her grief in anger. anger at her mother for ignoring her, anger at her brother for abdoning her, anger at her friends who pity her and anger at heslef to let these thing bother her.

Did I like her?
Yeah, I suppose. It did put me off that she was only 14 and Rose and her friends were discussing things that I never even thought about at 14. There was a lot of talk about virginity and female sexuality.
Did it bother me?

Hell yeah! Rose had a sensible head on her shoulders most times anyway which surprised me and she seems wiser than expected (as far as sex was concerned)

Was it preachy?

Sort of , at times. I could feel what Rozett was trying to do. She was giving a message out to teenagers about safe sex and knowing more about your own sexuality. She even threw a gynaecologist visit in which was informative to say the least. Talk about awkward.

Boys!!!! Hot men?

Of course, Rose was crushing badly over Jamie ,a senior. The whole thing was weird and I'm intrigued as to what are Jamie's intentions. He is a lot older than Rose. In fact I'm not sure how old he is 17? 18? He seemed quite a genuine guy but it doesn't make Rose's life any easier as he already is seeing Regina the school resident cheerleader bitch. His motives are still a mystery but I belive we will slowly get to know him even more.



"He plants a gentle kiss on my lower lip and then whispers in my ear, "I just got lucky, Rose."


There were not a lot of sexy scenes in the book (YA remember?) but whenever there was one it was so well done that my heart was doing little flips. There was precisely two kissing scenes and both of them were delicious. and really nicely done. Rozett should really think about writing adult books. I want to know so much more about Jamie and I'm hoping I will get to in confessions of an Almost Girlfriend. Now isn't that an interesting title?


Did I hate someone?

Full of stereotypes ,it was difficult to hate someone for what they do as they were simply playing out their roles. It's high school for God's sake! So we have the bitchy cheerleaders, the annoying back bencher, the male childhood friend who wants more and wouldn't stop annoying you, best friend who was slowly changing right in front of you and you are powerless to do anything as you watch her slip by, sucked in to the high school cool and uncool drama.
So, my choice will have to be Tracy was she was selfish and annoying. I may forgive her for the hideous things she did as being immature and young but the person who disappointed me the most was Peter, Rose's brother.

At first, he seemed nice but then I realised he was too wrapped up in his own selfish world that all he cared was about himself. He was old enough to know that his sister and his mother needed him and he should be there for them instead he takes the path of an escapist and removes himself from the drama. Nice one mate! I almost cried when he told Rose he can't come for Thanksgiving.

Overall impression?

Did I say I loved how she loved word games and each chapter started with a word and it's meaning?Great high school story where a young girl surrounded with madness called high school not only has to deal with prevalent issues like bullying, harassment, alcohol, sex, among the drama she is turmoil with changes in her life and how she is coping with it. Her father was obviously a big part of her life and there are emotions ranging from grief, anger, shock, denial and guilt. However, Rose decided to take the path to be angry as she thinks the world owes her a father.
the last quote pretty much sums it all up.



"Welcome to high school, Rose Zarelli. It's survival of the coolest here. And you, with your running shoes and your French Horn and your fear of sex and your missing hymen and your weird attacks and your dead father, you are definitely not part of the posse."


Released on 28th August, 2012
Arc provided by HarlequinTeen



2 comments:

Mrs. Jones on August 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM said...

This is such a great review!
I dont like a LOT younger stories (14 years old is super young...) and I think it would have bothered me some to read this. I keep debating whether I want to read it or not.

See, I know things like sex and boys are important to a 14 year old, but I dont like it and dont support it. And safe sex at 14 is still too young for me, even if its safe.

so... though I like the premise, i just cant decide if I want to read it yet

Escapism Fanatic on August 29, 2012 at 8:06 PM said...

I think the sex issue was handled really well. No matter what the other kids (yes, they were all kids at 14) were doing at least she knew what was right and what not. An excellent way to teach teens about sex and its implications.

The age bother me too so I stopped reading it for a while but when I got back to it, the age didn't bother me so much.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting