Monday, July 16, 2012

Review: BloodLines by Richelle Mead

Title: BloodLines
Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines
Publisher: Razorbill Fiction.
Released : 25th August, 2011
My ratings: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

After the dramatic event in Last Sacrifice, Richelle Mead is taking us down the same road with Bloodlines. The spin-off of the hugely popular Vampire Academy series has Sydney, the Alchemist; we met in VA as the main character and narrator. After her disobedience in Last Sacrifice, Sydney is sent on an assignment to protect the new Queen’s sister, Jill Mastrano. She will be protecting Jill and acting as a liaison between the vampires and the humans. However the simple enough task which surely would have brought confidence on Sydney from her superiors has left her in an odd situation. Not only she has to help and protect the dreaded wrongness of nature, the Vampire she when has to share a room with one.


“Takes a lot of tries before you hit perfection’. “Well, except for my parents. They got it on the first try.”

I’m not disappointed with this book as I did not have high hopes from it. Vampire Academy gave a nice conclusion to the story and should have been left at that. Mead here has tried to bring back the same magic which we wanted in the VA world. A school setting, fighting lessons, bullying, strange powers being revealed and solving mysteries. Sounds familiar? Old characters make appearances which while it was heart warming, a novella would have been sufficient. In my opinion writing a book on it sort of dragged it out.

“"I added “I already knew you would have no qualms about breaking and entering.”
“That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me,” he declared with a grin."

To top it all I never warmed to Sydney. Considering that she was the narrator it should have made the mystery and action more exciting. Instead it only seemed dull. I tried, I really did but she is definitely not rose. Not that I wanted her to be but she lacked the charm, charisma and magnetism to warrant my loyalty. She felt lifeless, dull and boring and of course, meek. Even the people around her were saying that to her.

“"Jill was right that there were other ways to get back at someone. And I was right that revenge was petty and nothing Jill should sully herself with. That way I was going to do it."

Adrian on the other hand was brilliant. I found myself waiting for him to appear to breathe some life into the story. He was the same scheming and flippant Adrian but he was trying to hide his pain and misery which made him even more swoon-worthy in my opinion, if that were even possible. He had the best dialogues and in plain simple words fun to know more about. No matter how hard he tries, the poor guy can’t make this book.You may notice that all my qoutes mentioned in this review have been with Adrian.

““Not true,” said Adrian” All guys mean the same thing when they want to 'get to know a girl better.’ You’re a well-bred young lady, so I understand why you’d be too innocent to understand. Good thing you’ve got me here to interpret.”

The setting reminded me of VA but less exciting. I saw the twist in the tale coming ages ago. Nor was I surprised when the bad- guy was relabelled. Regardless I’m not saying this is a bad book. It is fine on it’s own but I felt the magic of VA was missing. It was a decent YA read with a plot and mystery. Pick it up if you miss Vampire Academy but don’t expect too much.

“Standard practice if you don’t want chicks to find you later, Sage.
“Yeah, but why Jet? Why not....I don’t know...Travis or John?”
Adrian gave me a look that said I was wasting his time."Because Jet sounds badass.”


Saying that I would be reading the Golden Lily as I want to give this another chance or perhaps I want more Adrian.





1 comments:

Atmika@I Talk Books! on July 16, 2012 at 7:12 PM said...

Great review!
I am reading Golden Lily right now. It's better than this one. :D

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting