Tuesday, July 24, 2012

ARC Review: Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven #1) by R.L. Naquin

Title: Monster in my Closet
Author: R.L Naquin
Series: Monster Haven
Publisher: Carina Press
Releases : 30th July, 2012
My ratings: 2.75 out of 5 stars.

Zoey wakes up to find the her childhood nightmare come alive, in the form of the monster in her closet. Instead of terrifying her with his sharp teeth and claws he is sitting in her living room calming drinking tea. Turns out the monster she thought she had seen in her closet that night had been real and was now back to seek help from her. He is having trouble with his wife so he is homeless and wants to live in her house for a few days. Being the kind hearted person she is she allows him but little does she now what she had enrolled into. Out come the Hidden who have been there all along but out of her sight. Turns out like her mother she is an em path who can tunes into other people's emotions and has this irresistible urge to help them. But now she has unwillingly become the target of a Incubus who want to suck her soul away.

When with the quirky cover Monster in my closet failed to hold my interest. It started off nicely but along the way I felt it went slightly pear shaped. I really enjoyed the inner monologue and the author seems to have a really good sense of humour but it was the plot which failed it. A lot of characters were introduced but I felt they were not required in the grater plot and the dialogue between them felt boring and repetitive.The Monster in the closet, Maurice, hardly had a concrete role in the story. Okay this may sound like a negative review but it's not.

As I said before it had everything, a funny heroine, good side character which may need further development, a hot love interest and a sick villain. Yeah, I really disliked Sebastian, our soul sucking Incubus. Reading about him made me feel slimy and creepy. Riley was executed quite well. I think he has a lot more to give to the story so I'm hoping to see more of him. I just wish the execution was done slightly better. Will I pick the next book in this series? I'm not sure. I can see the potential as there were great moments where I laughed out aloud but the story as a whole not exciting enough for me. It could have been so much better but it wasn't.

“No need to panic. Monster love panic. They slurp panic through a crazy straw and make gross sucking noises.”


Releases 30th July, 2012

ARC provided by Carina Press via NetGalley






1 comments:

MzAlisaKay on July 25, 2012 at 4:38 AM said...

Eek, I hate it when there's this great concept, but the execution was done poorly. It gets on my nerves >_< Great review!

You've also been nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award here :0)

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting