Thursday, June 14, 2012

Temptation & Twilight (Brethren Gaurdians #3) by Charlotte Featherstone


My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars.
Ian, one of the Brethren Guardians regrets his lost love with Elizabeth, sister of Adrian. After years of hiding his misery he finally decided to get what he wants and would not take no for an answer.

I found Ian an utter and complete arse.

The story starts off with a scene which made me dislike Ian from the very beginning. It put me off reading further but slowly over the course of the story he redeems himself. I’m not saying that I started liking him but I surely found him tolerable enough. What changed my mind was that he released he had had been an arse (which most of the time arse’s don’t) and tried to remedy his foolishness. What I did like about his personality was how he found himself unable to express his feelings. It happens to almost all of us, making him slightly more real. I liked how the author made the reader see the other side of his personality where he was caring and loving. The other point which was worth mentioning was how he himself did not mind Elizabeth being blind. I mean in all fairness, thinking about his position and the time, he should have had second thoughts at least. But no, all he wanted was his love to get back with him.

The saving grace of this book was the heroine. She had been written beautifully and I wish more Historical authors write such varied characters in their romances. Elizabeth was blind. However that is not what sets her apart, it’s what she was regardless of her physical disability which made her so interesting to read. She was strong and full of life. In those days and age it must have been terrible to be blind and a spinster but it never put her down. She knew what she wanted in her life and made the most of her situation. She is one of those characters which make you want to be like them and learn something from them.


Impotent frustration rose like a fury inside her. She was not vain, not at all, but there were times in a woman’s life when she wanted to see her reflection and gaze upon herself, to discover the woman she was. What others saw in her. She had not idea what appeared in the looking glass. No sense of identity, or person...

There was a lot of chemistry between the two characters and the banter at the start kept me interested in the start. There were a few hot scenes and which particularly stood out was the one with the book in Elizabeth’s bedroom *fans herself *. Okay coming back to the book, the dialogues were well written and they made me want to read more. Unfortunately, I have not yet read the first two books on this series yet so I did find myself slightly lost with the overall Brethren Guardians storyline but the author did a good job of bringing me up to date with the back story. In my opinion though, I found the story dull. I have never been a massive fan of mystery or a series of a about a group of men etc, etc.

Overall, I liked the romance and loved the heroine. Some parts were slightly boring but the end was brought together well made me want to read the book in this series.


ARC provided by NetGalley







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting