Monday, April 30, 2012

ARC: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers #1) by Michelle Rowen

My ratings:4 out of 5 stars
Dark Kiss is the first book in a new series by author Michelle Rowen.

It starts off with our protagonist/narrator, Samantha, getting kissed by her long time crush. Turns out it wasn’t just an ordinary kiss but a kiss through which her soul was taken away, turning her into something else. She wasn’t a human anymore she had been turned into a Gray who craves for human souls. In the meantime she meets Bishop, towards whom she feels an inexplicable attraction. In order to get back her souls she has to work together with Bishop, a Angel, to stop these souls sucking creatures from taking over the city.

The starting was slow but the reader is moved onto the story pretty quickly. Samantha was good narrator. She had problems with her past but she knew how to deal with them and how to go on, inspite of the mistakes made on the way. She was optimistic, intelligent and sensible. Even amid the drama unfolding, she was able to keep a good head on her shoulders.

Bishop was a good hero. He was someone who wanted to do well in the world. He was brave and loyal. However what I loved in Dark Kiss was Kraven. A demon, he was evil and mean and I loved him. His dialogues were the best and I was waiting for him to appear more in the book. At first, I was sure he will be a sneaky character and turn out to be slimy and do something bad and we will end up hating him but as the story progressed it was clear that he will be playing a more important role in this series than I thought.

The plot was engaging and left me wondering what will happen next. The story was such that it was difficult to know whom to trust. It kept me guessing and going back and forth thinking if what appears to be true is infact a half truth? It seems like Rowen is moving the story into a direction where an episode battle is inevitable.

The ending gave a satisfactory conclusion but kept it wide open for the next book in the series Wicked Kiss.

Regardless of a slow start, Dark Kiss was an entertaining read and fans of Hush Hush and The Mortal Instruments would love this.

Dark Kiss releases on the 24th May, 2012

ARC provided by NetGalley.

3 comments:

Alexa on May 1, 2012 at 5:26 AM said...

Hmm I'm conflicted. I liked Hush, Hush but the last book was horrible! Plus I have yet to fall in love with TMI series so I'm torn. It does sound like a good read though, thanks for the great review!

OH and LOVE the new design!

Escapism Fanatic on May 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM said...

Too bad Alexa. This seems like a promising start to the series. I agree with you even if I liked TMI I never fell in love with and Nora from Hush Hush is driving me up the wall.

Escapism Fanatic on May 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM said...

Oh, thanks! I'm glad you like the new design.Took me long eough but I found one which I liked.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting