Wednesday, December 31, 2014

ARC Review: Captive by A. J. Grainger



A Plot with so much potential but it didn't sizzle

Title: Captive
Author:A. J. Grainger
Publisher:Simon and Schuster, UK
My ratings: 3 out of 5 stars
Released: 29th January, 2015
A new UKYA author writing about a girl in captivity! I was all overt his book, as soon as it came out. The premise goes like this. Robyn is the daughter of the Prime minister who lives under the constant fear of the media and danger. Her every move is chronicled and her family is under scrutiny all the time but one day she gets kidnapped. Imprisoned in a dark cell and awaiting her fate, Robyn learns more about her captives and about one in particular. Soon she starts wonder if her growing sympathies are her own or is she suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

I was curious how a captivity story will be treated as I have read many stories about captive and captor romance and I have loved them in the past. This part of the human psyche is so intriguing and twisted that it never fails to surprise me as how some emotions change to the opposite side of the spectrum. Unfortunately, Captive failed to really grasp me. It was nothing is particular that put me off. thaw writing was fine, the plot dragged a little in the middle but was ok and the romance had a strange pace of it's own. All in all it was not bad but it was the culmination of these above that it failed to capture my attention.

I have read many books in this type of scenario and I have seen the potential drama they offer but I believe as this was a YA title, it failed to grasp and fully utilize this dark and serious subject.

Over all, Captive was an average read for me, which failed to raise up to it's expectation. The topic was a difficult subject to write on and the author did an acceptable job of it however it failed to make an impression on me.

ARC received from Simon and Schuster, UK via NetGalley


7 comments:

Unknown on August 17, 2015 at 11:08 AM said...

First of all, allow my family appreciate a persons command during this matter. Even though this is certainly brand new , Cerebria nevertheless soon after registering your site, this intellect has exploded extensively. Allow all of us to take hold of ones rss to help keep in touch with at all probable messages Sincere understand but will pass it on to help admirers and my private are living membershttp://www.supplements4help.com/cerebria/

SynagenIQ on August 21, 2015 at 12:10 PM said...

Great stuff.Id like to recommend checking out a lot around the idea of french fries. What exactly are Neuro Elite you looking for though?My bro saved this internet site for me and I have been reading through it for the past couple hrs. This is really going to benefit me and my classmates for our class project. By the way, I enjoy the way you write.http://www.supplements4help.com/neuro-elite/


Kraemer Jason on August 25, 2015 at 10:19 AM said...

Took me time to read all the comments, however I really loved the article. It proved to be very useful to me and Im positive to all of the commenters here!
Alpha XTRM Its all the time good when you cant only learn, but in addition engaged! I am certain you had joy penning this article. Anyway, in my language, there arent much good source like this.Hello! Just wanted to say blog. Continue with the good work!http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/alpha-xtrm/

Kraemer Jason on August 25, 2015 at 10:23 AM said...

It is easy to entirely see your determination on the work you write. Everything wants additional excited freelance writers such as you so Alpha XTRM , who might not be terrified to convey that consider. Consistently practice your current heart and soul..http://www.healthcaresdiscussion.com/alpha-xtrm/

Anonymous said...

Many thanks pertaining to spreading the following superb written content on your website. I noticed it on the internet. I will check back again when you publish additional aricles.Smart stuff, Alpha XTRM I look forward to reading more.How is it that just anyone can write a blog and get as popular as this? Its not like youve said something extremely impressive more like youve painted a quite picture above an issue that you know nothing about! I dont want to sound mean, here. But do you actually think that you can get away with adding some quite pictures and not truly say something?http://www.supplements4help.com/alpha-xtrm-scam/



Anonymous said...

Webmasters are under appreciated, keep up the great writing.hiya all, I was just checkin out this blog and I really love the basis of the article, and have nothing to do, Cognimaxx XL so if anyone would like to to have an engrossing discussion about it, please contact me on yahoo, my name is tim posalihttp://www.healthcaresups.com/cognimaxx-xl/


Anonymous said...

Hands down, Apples app store wins by a mile. Its a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Cognimaxx XL Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but Im not sure Id want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.
Hello, I found this blog via google, just thought you might want to know!http://www.healthsupreviews.com/cognimaxx-xl/

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting