Sunday, June 15, 2014

Review: The Professional (Game Maker #1) by Kresley Cole


Kresley Cole’s take on contemporary erotica
Title: The Professional
Series: Game Maker
Author: Kresley Cole
Publisher: Simon and Schuster, UK
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars
Released: 6th of May, 2014
I have always enjoyed Kresley Cole's writing. In fact her is the only Paranormal Romance, Immortals After Dark, I read. Her writing melding romance with a great paranormal aspects makes for compelling read with no cheesiness in sight. Saying that, I picked up The Professional with high expectations.

It starts with Natalie being informed one night that she is the daughter of a Mafia boss and that she has to leave the US to go to Russia to meet her father before his enemies find her. To collect her, Sevastyan is sent. Unlike a lot of erotica I have read, there is decent plot line with chemistry between the protogonist and a good bit of action thrown in. I did not expect any less of Krelsey Cole.

This review will be brief as I really don't have much to say about it. The biggest thing that irked me was that the main character, Natalie was stupid. I have come to expect more of Kresley Cole's female characters and was waiting throughout the story to find something which suggested she had a kernel of brain inside that head of hers. She made stupid, irrational decisions and was ready to go hot and heavy with a man she had just met, literally few hours ago. And she was meant to be a virgin too.

However, I really enjoyed the book. Even with all the mixed reviews floating about, it was the right book at the right time for me. The first few scenes were sizzling and let’s not even go to the closet scene which they probably could have set on fire with their passion.

The aspect I enjoyed the least was how BDSM was inserted into it. I have tried, really tried but I simply cannot relate to a a BDSM scene where the participant's claim are enjoying the physical pain in a sexual situation. Don't get me wrong, I read a spot of erotica every now and them even get the' feels' leading upto this emotionally/sexually charged situation. But as soon as the infliction of pain begins, my connection to the scene cuts off. I suddenly feel that I'm floating and watching this scene from far above somewhere.

Regardless of that, Kreley Cole is damn fine writer and her male leads, are always hunky bad boys with a sad past.Just the kind us, ladies like.

I'd recommend this book for fans of Krelsey Cole, erotica, BDSM who like to have a quality narration to their stories.

ARC received from Simon and Schuster, UK
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting