Friday, August 2, 2013

ARC Review: The Weight of Souls by Bryony Pearce

Imaginative, dark and unexpected
Title: The Weight of Souls
Author: Bryony Pearce
Publisher: Strange Chemistry, UK
My ratings: 4 out of 5 stars 
Releases: 6th August, 2013
Taylor carries a curse. A curse which has rules her life. Not only can she see ghosts but they can see her too. If they touch her, they pass her a mark by which she has to find their killer and pass it on to them or else the Darkness comes to her.

Pretty cool huh? I thought so too. I loved the idea of a school girl seeing ghosts and the concept of The Darkness. Nothing is scarier than the unknown and that is what gave the chilling scenes life in this book. Let’s start with the heroine. I should mention that I’m pleased to have seen a main character in YA belonging to a different ethnicity. She is half Chinese which gave the story a realistic stroke. Taylor was smart yet she was this teen who wanted to keep her head down but still craving for attention, friends and popularity.

I have been looking for a good book that used Egyptian mythology and The Weight of Souls is that book. I enjoyed the Egyptian mythology thrown into Taylor’s curse which was imaginative and new. The flash backs and the passages from Taylor’s book added the back story required to piece the story together.

The romance was sweet and slightly unexpected and I did enjoy the character growth of Justin. He blooms from a bully toe protector in a matter of a book. I did not particularly enjoy the mystery aspect of the story line but the bone chilling scenes in the tomb made up for it. I can’t imagine what it must be like to constantly live in the fear of the unknown, dark shadows lurking, waiting for you to get out of line and it would snap you in an instant.

The Weight of Souls is a unique addition to UKYA, set in London, with a strong setting and back ground, smart heroine and sweet love story. You will read this book, turning each page in curious anticipation and shut it with a smile.

Releases 6th of August in the UK

ARC provided by Strange Chemistry


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I have a copy of this for review but haven't read it yet! I love that this is UKYA and I liked Angel's Fury by Pearce. Plus, MC that isn't pure western? Yes! I had no idea that this had Egyptian mythology in it either. Awesome review, I am so psyched to read this now!

Jade @ Ink Scratchers

Escapism Fanatic on August 3, 2013 at 6:52 AM said...

Unless you look closely it is not apparent that it has hints of Egyptian mythology weaved into the storyline before you read it. The are some hieroglyphs on the cover but they are not very clear.

I wonder if a second book will be made.

Unknown on July 1, 2015 at 8:59 AM said...

Every time I read from this blog site I learned something new, but the comments here make me think differently at times. Alpha ZXT It is there now.My good friend and I have been just discussing this subject, she actually is normally endeavouring to prove me incorrect! I will present her this particular blog post and rub it in a little!Heres a closely guarded secret in regard to.http://www.healthsupreviews.com/is-alpha-zxt-scam-or-legit/



Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting