Friday, July 5, 2013

ARC Review: Confessions of an Almost Grilfriend (Confessions #2) by Louise Rozett

Rose 2.0?

Title: Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend  
Series: Confessions  
Author: Louise Rozett  
Publisher: Harlequin MiraInk, UK
Releases: 4th July, 2013    
My ratings: 4.5 out of 5 stars.
A
fter the incidents in Confessions of an Angry Girl, you may think every thing would be hunky-dory in Rose's world, but it's far from the truth. Peter is still the selfish brat he was in the first book and things are still complicated with Jamie. Since the prom night, Jamie hasn't tried to get in touch with Rose. Her mother is still unhappy how things are between Rose and her and most of the school still thinks Rose is a snitch.


'Instead of closing the door to get away from the mirror like I usually do, I stand there and take a good look.  

 It's weird. I'm disappointed when I look in the mirror but it's not because I don't like what I see. I mean, I don't, but that's not what bugs me. What bugs me is that what I see in the mirror doesn't match what I see in my head. In my head, I'm prettier than I am in real life, so when I look in the mirror and see what I see, I feel let down. And also a little crazy. 

Where did I get that image in my head if not from the mirror?'

Saying all that, I like Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend more than the Confessions of an Angry Girl.. Rose is still has a lot of growing to do but I could still read how much more she understands. I also liked how Rose was trying hard not to be like the rest of the stereotypical high school students and yet found it difficult to let go of the desire to fit in. She is still young and has her own issues but it was nice reading about how she was trying to find her footing as to what her 'thing' was.

Jamie, well, I haven't made my mind about him yet. Either I want to kick him in the nuts or hug him. He has his own set of problems which I fully appreciate but I don't understand they hot and cold way he seems to be treating Rose. I still think he is hot but make he is hot jerk.

'I did the wrong thing, and I lost him for real. But did you do the wrong thing?

 Jamie thinks it was the wrong thing. But do you?
 No. I don't. 
I didn't do what Jamie would have wanted me to do, but that doesn't mean it was wrong.'

We get re acquainted with familiar characters while being introduced to great new ones. My favourite has to be Holly with her perfect smile and sweet personality. Rose's mother in my opinion, was still being unreasonable but I also saw some improvement towards the end. Tracy was so much better this time and don't annoy me as much as she did last time.

Continuing on with teenage sexuality, Rozett tackles a new issue this time which was homosexuality. I do enjoy how Rozett seems to try and educate teenagers with a sensible main character.

I think that is what I like about Rose that even if she is 15 and has all that angst in her but somehow she comes across reasonable (somewhat), sensible and fun. I'm going to stick with my guns and again ask Rozett to think about writing adult books as the kissing in this book was , well, steamy. I mean how can YA be this sexy?

"His kiss ricochets throughout my entire body in a nanosecond. He grabs my arms and turns me, practically lifting me off the ground as he backs me up against his car, pinning me to the driver's-side door with his body as his tongue lashes across my lips and into my mouth. It's like he's been waiting for this to happen again as long as I have.


Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend was a fun light read which gives me hope for today's teens. It was fun navigating around a typical high school setting, crushing on the senior mysterious guy and trying to find your own identity in the big bad world and perhaps try and be a better person. I'd recommend this book to all YA fans who like a main character which does not whine or seek pity, but but a intelligent head between her shoulders and of course read this book for Jamie Forta. I bet he'll blow your socks off.  

Releases 4th of July, 2013  

ARC provided by Harlequin MiraINK, UK


2 comments:

Julie on July 5, 2013 at 4:32 AM said...

Huh, I still have to read Confessions of an Angry Girl. It's great that there's so much character development for Rose, yet there's still more growing. Love that so much. I'm glad you liked Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend so much!

Great review!

kit on July 5, 2013 at 8:23 AM said...

I really enjoyed this one. I haven't read the first book, which would probably have explained the back story a little bit more, but I thought Rose was a great character and very well written - even though she was conflicted a lot of the time she still made sense. Great review!

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting