Friday, May 3, 2013

ARC Review: The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden #2) by Julie Kagawa

The struggle to remain human or turn into a Monster to survive goes on.

Title: The Eternity Cure
 Series : Blood of Eden
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Mira INK, 
UK Releases: 3rd May 2013 
My ratings: 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Allison Sekemoto is back. After the non stop action in The Immortal Rules , and the thrilling way it ended we are again pushed into the weird exciting world of Allie and New Covington. Allison is looking for Kanin, her vampire sire, who has been kidnapped by the psycho vamp. She can't help the urge to help her master so she goes on the hunt looking to save him.

 That's pretty much the girt of it. I don't want to give too much away, or it may spoil the book for you. The Eternity Cure had Kagawa's signature style of excellent world building which is all consuming to say the least. I loved the Fae world she had created in The Iron Fey series and Kagawa does it again by creating the desolate and hopeless world of Allie. While I'm reading, I can clearly imagine New Covington and the other cities falling and crumbling to pieces with the vampire lording over the humans. This was why partly I was riveted to the book as I could smell the stank air and feel eyes watching you as you follow Allie on her quest.

“Only death will take me away from you, vampire girl," he whispered. "And even then, I'll watch over you from wherever I end up.”

 As mentioned before, old characters make appearances and yes ladies, Zeke is there too. Ahhh...you can stop holding your breath now. In fact, Jackal makes an appearance as well. I was well pleased as to how Kagawa managed to make him likeable. I am just saying. I know he came across as a douche bag last time and , yes he is still one but his character has been given dimensions which, I'm sorry to say, Zeke lacks. I liked him more is The Immortal Rules as we were just getting to know him but I wish there was something bad about it. Yup, I love me some bad boy. Ahem *clears throat*. We see some progress between Kanin and Allie and the father-daughter relationship moves forward too.

“There are no good choices, Allison," Kanin offered in a quiet voice. "There are only those you can live with, and those you can work to change.”

 Did I say I love Allie? I think she is the right balance of teenage hormones and raging monster tendencies. I like how she is never easy on herself and has never forgotten how she was a street rat. She may not be one but love her struggle to try and preserve some of her humanity as she keeps losing more and more of herself.

“You will always be a monster - there is no turning back from it. But what kind of monster you become is entirely up to you.”

After pondering for I while, I came to realise that the rumours I had heard had some truth about it that, The Blood of Eden had some similarities to The Vampire Knight. For those who don't know, it's a manga(comic book in Japan) which has been very popular amongst teens. I have read a few chapters until I lost the story. So yes, we have some similarities to Zeke and Zero and the name Kanin also comes from the manga but I have to say the story seems a fry cry from the girly manga.

 The Eternity Cure was hard core, dystopian world which was ruthless and cruel. The Eternity Cure ticked all the boxes and Kagawa had got herself a hit series again. There was action, the mystery was there and of course the sense of adventures was there too. Of course it ends with a bit of a cliff hanger but I would like it to cal the premise to the beginning of the next book. If you love dystopian but can't seem to get enough vampires The Eternity Cure is for you. No sparkly vampires, The Eternity Cure boost of angry, blood sucking, dangerous, neck ripping vampires. My kinda book.

“I don't believe in fate," he said carefully, "but... I do believe everything happens for a reason. That there is some plan, some meaning to this darkness we live in.”

 ARC copy provided by MIira INK, UK

  Releases on 3rd May, 2013


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting