Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Review: Touch of Power (Healers #1) by Maria V. Snyder

Adventure, Magic and Romance.
Title: Touch of Power
Series: Healers  
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publisher: MiraINK  
Releases: 20th December, 2011
My ratings: 4.5 out of 5 stars
 Another YA Fantasy by Maria V Snyder and it was wonderful. Ms. Snyder has his ability to quickly trap the reader into the intricate world set up by her and get us involved with the heroine.

Avry is a healer. She is heals by absorbing the sick person, sickness into her. She can heal almost all illness apart from the Plaque that has taken over the world. She has been on the run from the last 3 years as the healers are being blamed for the starting of this horrible disease which has wiped half of the world’s population. But one day she gets caught is waiting for the guillotine when is recued by the mysterious Kerrick, who wants to save her but in return she will have to heal the Prince Ryne who has the Plague. Thus begins a journey where Kerrick and his bands of men try and convince Avry why she should she heal Prince Ryne but little do they know that she heals Ryne she will die.

I loved this book. The story simply pulled me in and not at one moment was I bored or tried skimming through the lines. In fact I may have skimmed as I couldn’t wait to know what happened next. The story moved really quickly and yet it was slow. A lot of events take place but not a lot happened in between. Not that I’m complaining. I love the interaction between Avry and the men and Kerrick. All of them had such distinct personality and it was great fun watching Avry become one of them and re-discovering what it is like having a family.

Avry was a strong heroine who was witty and intelligent, which is hard to come by in YA fiction these days. There was not a lot if information dumping but I liked how Avry revealed the world bit by bit and we get to know her background. My favourite character has to be a toss up between Kerrick and Belen. Kerrick was your brooding, grumpy, dark, mysterious leader while Belen was your sweet, warm and loving characters. I even enjoyed the rest of the men in Kerrick's team and how they all bonded together.

 Kerrick at first came across as a bit rough but slowly he grew on me. The plot it self has many elements to it and the evil villain is Tohon who want to capture the whole fifteen realms for himself. I liked Snyder’s take on him as being really charming and attractive yet having this sinister streak in him.

In my opinion it should have been an adult book as the characters are all adult but the simple writing keeps is easy and fresh. It is a long book but I was never bored so it was fine with me.

Over all, it was a good read with magic, evil magicians, adventure, excitement, friendship and romance, all thrown in for good measure. It was really different from all the dystopian YA literature filling up our bookshelves. I’m hoping after the high standards Touch of Power has achieved Scent of Magic lives up to it.



3 comments:

Mel@Thedailyprophecy on January 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM said...

Oh wow, I haven't read any reviews about this book, but I have had it on my reading list for a while. I guess I need to pick it up very soon, because it sounds great. The characters and the concept; I can't wait to get started. Awesome review!

Mel@thedailyprophecy.

Unknown on January 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM said...

I've seen this around and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't looked up the series details. Is Scent of Magic book 2 or is that the same book but different title like what they did with Berdugo's book?

Talk Supe

Escapism Fanatic on January 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM said...

Braine - Scent of Magic ia the second book in the series which continues on with Avry's story.

If you have read Snyder's Poison study series then I'm sure you'll like this too.

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting