Tuesday, October 30, 2012

ARC Review: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Conn and David Levithan

Teetering between the possibilty of something and the possibilty of nothing....

Title: Dash and Lily's Book of Dares
Author: Rachel Conn and David Levithan
Publisher: MiraInk
Released: 26th October, 2012
My ratings: 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Dash and Lily's book of Dares is what I'd call an intelligent, funny and touching Christmas Young Adult story. Dash is spending Christmas alone. He is one of those people who dislike everything about Christmas. The cheer, good will and the air of happiness around this time. His parents are divorced and he managed to trick them both into letting him spend it all by himself. Personally, I think that's a divine idea. Anyway, moving on, while he is happily browsing this way in the book piles of his favourite used book shop, he comes across a diary with a message written by a girl. If he follows the instructions he may well become friends with her. Many bookshelves later which included messages like books like the Pleasures of Gay sex, etc Dash and Lily (the girl from the diary) start to exchange notes and messages. Their relationship evolves as they get to know each other better and relaise that they may have a connection.

"A dream deferred is a dream denied."
I loved how the whole story was set during Christmas time in New York. I've never been to New York but the setting seemed straight out a a movie set. Scenes like building snow men in Central Park, taking the subway and travelling across town made me want to go to NY and soak up the atmosphere. I really enjoyed reading Dash's POV as he was snarky, snarly yet clever. I'd hate to have a brother / friend like him but his company will never be boring. He was Mr.Know-it-all yet he was so much more mature for his age. The way he handled his issues with his ex- girlfriend and the really embarrassing first meeting with a drunk Lily were very well done. He had a fantastic grasp over the English language and I has to admit that I shamelessly had to resort to checking the dictionary to find some meaning of the words he wrote.


"With all due respect," I said, "if you're forty-three, then I'm a fetus."
Lily, on the other hand was the complete opposite of Dash. While Dash was , I'm using this term loosely, grumpy, Lily was a happy bunny on steroids. She loved everything about Christmas, the presents, cookies, cakes, trees, snow. She actually was part of the Christmas Carol singing group. That instantly made me want to part strangle her and partly hug her. She was such an innocent and she had this naivety towards the world which I found endearing. She was had a sheltered upbringing with freinds and family looking after her.

"I am trying to embrace danger...I am not dangerous. Only the fictions we create, especially when they become expectations." 

One of the few things that annoyed me was the use to not one but two gay couples in the plot. I's not a bad thing but it seemed over the top. The authors were trying really hard to drill the fact that being gay was okay. I can understand what they were trying to teach that having gay couples left and right only makes it seem weird.

Dash and Lily's book of Dares is a journey on how these two characters, who are completely different to each other, find so much in common. It was about knowing yourself better, coming out of your shell and having fun all at the same time.

"No one is ever who you want them to be. And the less you really know them, the more likely you are to confuse them with the girl or boy in your head." 

Overall, it's a great Christmas read, where you will be travelling all around New York without having to leave your sofa or your cuppa. It was feel-good, heart warming and sweet.


ARC provided by the MiraInk via NetGalley


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting