Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Review : Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee

My ratings: 5 out of 5 stars
Ireally must have been living in a hole. Seriously, why did I never pick this book before? I had no idea what I was missing .When I started this I never thought I would be drawn in this wonderful , exciting world of Penryn and Raffe. The world building was intricate, the characters well developed, the plot faultless. I started this before going to bed and could not stop. There have been very few books which can make me stay up all night and this did. I finished this at 5 am and was ready to re-read again then and there.
It has been 6 weeks since Angels invaded the modern world changing it forever. Countless people have died and numerous more dying. The future of the world is uncertain. Penryn is trying to survive her with her mother and her wheel-chair bound sister when she witnesses an attack on a lone angel. His wings are ripped away and when Penryn manages to help him her sister is kidnapped. Now she has to team up with the injured Angel with an attitude and to get her sister back. The story is so simple yet the writing is what gives it so much depth. Not once was I bored or lost interest in the plot. Amazingly the characters never wavered from their personalities, which is very unusual for a YA.
I cannot express how pleased I was with this book. Finding great books is what makes reading them such an experience. The story was fast paced and interesting. The dialogues were great and they certainly benefitted from the touch of dry humor. There are many Angel/Nephelim stories found in the YA aisle but what makes it different is the treatment. The background is well researched and Ee seems to know what she is talking about.
Penryn – I love that name. That alone for me is worth reading the book. She is strong, courageous and level headed. Not once did I want to scream at her or want to shake her. She reminded me of Katniss from The Hunger Games. Raffe on the other hand ….sigh…all I can say is that I have got a new addition to my Fictional BF harem. He is mysterious and totally bad ass.
Some readers have mentioned their dislike of the ending but it did not bother me. I loved every minute of the experience. The ending was so touching it brought tears to my eyes. I felt so sorry for him. And just that makes me want the book straight away. If all Dystopian books are anything like this then it may just become my favorite genre. It feels like it has spoiled other books for me. There are so many things I want to talk about but I don’t think I want this review to be a mile long.
For those who haven’t read this, what are you waiting for? Grab this now or you will regret it later.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?
I love comments on my blog. Leave a comment and I'd do my best to reply as quickly as possible.

 

Escapism Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | Ugg Boots Sale | web hosting